Friday, April 19, 2019

Review: Opposite of Always

Opposite of Always Opposite of Always by Justin A. Reynolds
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I saw this book bless the shelves at work, I picked it up and saw the dust-jacket blurb of the premise - plus the glowing recommendations by Angie Thomas and Becky Albertalli - and immediately thought myself in for one of the sweetest book treats of the year. I wasn't wrong, but there's a lot more to it than that, of course. The sweetness is balanced out by, naturally, a strong emotional core as befits its Groundhog Day - well, more like Groundhog Spring, that amount of time - premise about a smart, unlucky Black boy trying to figure out which of the endless repetitions of his head-over-heels romance with a smart, cute Black girl will end with her not dying. Among other assorted consequences which I won't go into here because spoilers. Perhaps the book is a bit undercut by its severe overlength, and especially its abrupt and overly headscratching ending, but Jack and Kate, I love them too much to not root for them and keep on reading for their ultimate resolution, whatever it may have been.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment