Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Review: The Malta Exchange

The Malta Exchange The Malta Exchange by Steve Berry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Steve Berry returns to the world of Cotton Malone with one of his most interesting thrillers in a while - focusing, as its title suggests, on the island of Malta. This, of course, particularly grabs my attention since I'm Maltese on my mom's side. So, naturally, we get a focus on Malta's long history of having numerous empires lay claim to it - some successfully, others less so, all depending on how well one takes advantage of the island's fortifications both natural and artificial - as well as the ever-presence of the Catholic Church and some, erm, corrupt higher-ups thereof. And then there's the historical legend of Churchill having possibly written to Mussolini about ceding Malta to Italy, though only after Italy was about to lose anyway and it was more of a troll job against Mussolini than anything else...there's a lot to unpack in this book, and as much as I was expecting a five-star read for something Malta-related, it's still a pretty active - if standalone - Cotton Malone adventure.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment