Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Review: Red Glove

Red Glove Red Glove by Holly Black
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'm...starting to remember what it is about Holly Black's books that I tend not to like. It's always been some kind of undefinable something missing, and that's still undefinable, but after the first book made a good impression, this sequel kinda left me a bit cold. For a follow-up to a real masterpiece of world-building and prescient political commentary, this second book feels like it adds little to nothing new to the table. I mean, it has its good moments of that political commentary coming back to the fore from time to time, like in this scene where some of Cassel's schoolmates want to go to a pro-worker protest and the headmaster bans the protest entirely. But really, this book had its flashes of fun and then for the most part came off rather boring. It's a shame, really. But you know, I'll still go ahead and complete the trilogy and see what happens.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment