Thursday, August 29, 2024

Review: Arkangel

Arkangel Arkangel by James Rollins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Even for a Sigma book, this one's got everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, that makes me demand there be a film adaptation of this series immediately.

Yes, I know by now Amazon has a TV series adaptation planned, but call me cynical but I strongly suspect the streaming world isn't gonna be as kind to this series as it deserves, unless it's anywhere near as much of a hit as the books' bestseller status ought to afford it.

But that Amazon series better last long enough to adapt this book somewhere in its timeline, because it demands it greatly. It's one of Rollins's most classic books in years, building the great mystery of Hyperborea as our friends at Sigma (plus Tucker Wayne and his war dogs Kane and Marco) seek to find it before the Russians do (the book does make some vague references to the ongoing war in Ukraine, with Rollins connecting Russia's attempt at colonization there to the old Hyperborea story as part of their grander ambitions now that church and state are a lot less separate than they ought to be.) No spoilers, but once we do get to Hyperborea, the book gets into some serious thriller territory, verging on horror as well.

Once again, Rollins reminds me of why he's one of my all-time favorite authors, and I'm dying to see what he's got in mind next, because he's promising ever more wild adventures in the next book, which will hopefully be ready to read by this time next year...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment