Saturday, August 31, 2024

Review: The Mercy of Gods

The Mercy of Gods The Mercy of Gods by James S.A. Corey
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I wouldn’t be surprised if this book was a stealth sequel to The Expanse. I mean, it’s pretty clear from the fact that the human civilization of Anjiin is pretty strongly implied to have come through the protomolecule portal to colonize that world, only to then be colonized themselves by a fearsome super-Borg hive mind. But coming from the same authors as The Expanse, this book was nothing short of disappointing, and that’s putting it mildly. Whereas Abraham and Franck excelled in their character development and science-fantasy politicking in their signature series, this new series is a huge step back with boring characters I couldn’t care about, poorly detailed world building, and generally being one of the slowest books I’ve ever read. I almost got halfway through before just giving up entirely, and I can’t see myself giving this one another shot anytime soon.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment